1.01.2010

ALINE SMITHSON: Lenscratch Favorites


Shadows and Stains series
H
and painted silver gelatin print (c) Aline Smithson /All Rights Reserved

Shadows and Stains series
H
and painted silver gelatin print (c) Aline Smithson /All Rights Reserved

from "My favorites from the yearly vacation at the lake..."
Lenscratch (c) Aline Smithson /All Rights Reserved

from "My favorites from the yearly vacation at the lake..."
Lenscratch (c) Aline Smithson /All Rights Reserved

Henry from "My favorites from the yearly vacation at the lake..."
Lenscratch (c) Aline Smithson /All Rights Reserved

SHADOWS AND STAINS series: "Shot with a toy camera (Diana), I set out to deconstruct images, overlap or cut my negatives, add thoughts that never get said out loud, add text and texture through traditional methods in the darkroom, add washes of oil paint to the surface, and discard the idea of making the perfect print. I want the shadows and stains of my photographic fingerprints as evidence that I was there, in a dark room." –Aline Smithson

+ + +

In December, Photographer Aline Smithson posted the following message on her blog LENSCRATCH: "Send me your favorite photograph of 2009 (that you have taken) and I will post it on New Year's Day." Readers sent images from as far away as India, Burma, Ireland, and Hungary, as well as many from here at home. The following are only a few of the almost 100 images posted:

Finokalia (Φινοκαλιά), Crete
Photograph (c) Phil Bebbinton /All Rights Reserved

Los Angeles, CA
Photograph (c) Maura Brennan /All Rights Reserved

13 comments:

Caio Fern said...

THE SERIES IS REALLY LOVELY , AND HER EFFORT TO MAKE THIS AS PERSONAL AS POSSIBLE IS TOUCHING .

Susan said...

What a brilliant idea. The last photo here is really curious - I love it! I'm really looking forward to embarking on a digital photography class at my local college this year (one of my resolutions) Happy New Year and thanks for stimulating our curiosity with your blog posts over the past year - Susan xx

Pretty Zesty said...

Wow, I am dreaming of summer now!

naperville mom said...

Thanks again Liz, this IS art!:-)

Unknown said...

I love the picture of Crete. It reminds me of visiting an Orthodox Christian monastery - the strange mixture of simplicity and ethereal beauty.

Thanks for coming by my blog, I look forward to seeing your photography!

A Cuban In London said...

My favourite one was the lake. In fact I just stared at it for aeons. I purchased a seascape painting from one of my brothers-in-law last year during one of his exhibitions and if I chanced upon a print of that lake I would not hesitate to part with some of my money for it. It is a magnificent series. Many thanks and Happy New Year.

Greetings from London.

Lee said...

Quite lovely. Esp the pier/birds overlay.

india said...

I can't choose anyone...all of them are beutiful...and all of them makes me to learn how much I have to practice and how much the photographs can say to us...
Liz,you make me try to expres in English,thanks!But sorry,I speak your language only a litlle bit.
Have a Happy New Year!!!!

MaryAnn Lynch said...

Beautiful work

Marla H Bane said...

And delighted to images by you, Jessica Hines & Allison Smith.

Russ Martin said...

Great selection of work. Thanks to you and Aline for bringing it to us.

PJ said...

I keep coming back to look at her images. There's something about the soft green in them that almost breaks my heart and the saccharine perch is just brilliant.

Maura Brennan said...

Thank you for posting my photograph. I really enjoy reading your blog. Great to see Aline's beautiful photos here... She is a friend and mentor to many, myself included. Aline has done much to help the photo community. She's quite an inspirational and generous force!